Sunday, November 18, 2012

Ups and Downs

Blogging has its ups and downs. The biggest struggle for me is finding something to write about. I have written for several other ones and for me that is the hardest part.

Inspiration for a post usually comes when I am farthest from paper, pen, or keyboard. While trying to retain the thoughts I had I succeed in losing them. Then when I sit down to the computer to write them I draw a blank.

I always rectify this issue by writing about it! And in case you couldn't tell already, I always turn to poetry for inspiration in moments like these too.

Wow, I'm writing about not knowing what to write about and look how far I've gotten already!

I think Tennyson describes my feeling best:

Break, break, break,
On thy cold gray stones, O Sea!
And I would that my tongue could utter
The thoughts that arise in me.

He was speaking of speaking, I am writing of writing. I think that makes sense. :) But like he said, I can't explain what I mean so whether or not it makes sense, I can't explain that either!

I often get grand posts all drafted in my mind. But when I get them on the computer, they look like junk! I believe that's what St. John of the Cross meant when he said something to the effect of: "When a soul looks all around and sees nothing worth living for, and still goes on, that is one who loves God" (sorry, can't find the exact quote now) 

Writing is like that. When one looks all around and can't find anything worth it, yet persists, that is what makes them worthy to be a writer. Have you ever wondered how the greatest writers of all time came to be?It is because they persisted through their down times. 

This is a strange ramble but it is the only way I can express myself succinctly. I shall leave it at this. 

God Bless! 


No comments:

Post a Comment